NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- The National Science Teaching Association (NSTA) announced the recipients of its 2022 NSTA Awards program, which honors K–12 teachers, principals, professors and other science education professionals for their outstanding work and achievement in science education.
Crystal Hill Elementary science teacher, Christal Scott, is being recognized by NSTA as a Shell Urban Science Educator Development Award, sponsored by Shell.
“I have always been intrigued by science, with a passion for science extending from grade school to the present,” said Scott. “Science was the first subject I truly fell in love with. My school, team, community, and especially my students are an essential part of my love for teaching. I appreciate NSTA for helping me to serve them effectively. With this award, I will develop and improve my own instruction to improve my lessons, the motivation of my students and my learning community.”
"Ms. Scott is only two years into her teaching career and is already making a significant impact on the lives of young people,” said Crystal Hill Elementary Principal Mrs. Stacy Bottoms. “She epitomizes professionalism, dedication, and true care and concern for her students. I can't wait to watch her reach her goals as an outstanding leader in our profession."
Awardees will be recognized during a special evening celebration taking place during the NSTA National Conference on Science Education in Houston, Texas on April 1.
NSTA is also presenting the following awards:
- Angela Award
- Corteva Excellence in Agricultural Science Education Award, sponsored by Corteva Agriscience
- eCYBERMISSION Team Advisor National Recognition, sponsored by the U.S. Army Educational Outreach Program (AEOP)
- Maitland P. Simmons Memorial Award for New Teachers
- Northrop Grumman Excellence in Engineering Education Award, sponsored by the Northrop Grumman Foundation
- NSTA Distinguished Informal Science Education
- NSTA Legacy Award, posthumous recognition
- Robert H. Carleton Award for National Leadership in the Field of Science Education
- Robert E. Yager Foundation Excellence in Teaching Awards
- Shell Science Teaching Award, sponsored by Shell
- Shell Science Lab Regional Challenge, sponsored by Shell, outfitted by Carolina Biological Supply Company
- Shell Urban Science Educator Development Award, sponsored by Shell
- Sylvia Shugrue Award for Elementary School Teachers
- Vernier Software & Technology Awards, sponsored by Vernier Software & Technology
NSTA encourages science educators to apply for its 2023 NSTA Awards. For information, visit https://www.nsta.org/awards-and-recognition-program.