In order to attend Pre-kindergarten within the Pulaski County Special School District, families must meet at least one of the eligibility requirements issued by the Arkansas Better Chance (ABC) program.
The PCSSD Prekindergarten program operates under the regulations of the Department of Human Services (DHS) and Arkansas Better Chance (ABC). Each classroom is licensed and monitored by DHS and ABC. This program adheres to Pulaski County Special School District Policies, ABC Rules and Regulations, and DHS Minimum Licensing Requirements.
Eligible children for the ABC program shall have at least one of the following characteristics:
- Family with gross income not exceeding 200% of FPL (see chart below)
- Parents without a high school diploma or GED
- Low birth weight (below 5 pounds, 9 ounces)
- Parent under the age of 18 at the time of child's birth
- Immediate family member with documented history of substance abuse/addiction
- Child has a developmental delay as identified through screening
- Eligible for services under IDEA
- Limited English proficiency
- Parent has a history of abuse or neglect or is a victim of abuse or neglect (documented)
An age-eligible child who falls into of the following categories shall be exempt from the family income requirements.
- Foster child
- Child in custody of/or living with a family member other than the mother or father
- Child with immediate family member arrested for or convicted of drug-related offense
- Child with parent activated for overseas military duties
The following age requirements apply to those seeking to attend Pre-K for the 2021-2022 school year:
- Children enrolling in the four year old classes must be 4 on or before August 1, 2021.
- Acceptable birth dates range from August 2, 2016 - August 1, 2017.
- Children enrolling in the three year old classes must be 3 on or before August 1, 2021.
- Acceptable birth dates range from August 2, 2017 - August 1, 2018.