On June 20, 2011 the Arkansas Department of Education removed the Pulaski County School Board of Education and Superintendent, Dr. Charles L. Hopson, and took control of the District. Dr. Tom Kimbrell, Commissioner, Arkansas Department of Education, will serve as the PCSSD Board of Director. Former Superintendent Bobby Lester and Phyllis Stewart, ADE, were appointed as liaisons for the District by the Department of Education. Dr. Jerry D. Guess was selected as the Superintendent of the Pulaski County Special School District, effective July 1, 2011. The following summary of PCSSD Operations were recommended by Superintendent Guess and approved by Dr. Kimbrell.
November 8, 2011
- Scholastic Audit Quarterly Report – Learning Services
- Revision of Board Policy JER, Student Attendance – Second Reading. Approved
- Revision of Board Policy KFB/KFC, KFB/KFC-R, KFC, KFB/KFC-E, Community Use of School Facilities – Second Reading. Tabled
- Revision of Board Policy KHA/KHB, Public Solicitation/Advertising in the Schools and Distribution of Materials – Second Reading. Approved
- Adoption of Board Policy IHBHA, Alternative Learning Environments (ALE) – First Reading
- Revision of Board Policy JRA-E, Record Release Notification – First Reading
- Revision of Board Policy JM-R, Scholarships – First Reading
- Addition of Board Policy Regulation, EBCB – R1, Certified/Support Inclement Weather – First Reading
- Approval to appoint the ex officio financial secretary (Jerry D. Guess, Superintendent); treasurer (William Goff, Chief Financial Officer); and legal counsel (Judy Wilber, General Counsel) Mitchell Williams Selig Gates & Woodyard (Desegregation); and Bequette and Billingsley (outstanding litigation). Approved
- Ratification of Resolution of the First Arkansas Bank and Trust of Authorization of Signature. This was to remove authorization of signature of Donna Garrett and replace with the signature of William Goff, Chief Financial Officer. Approved
- Auction of Student Nutrition Surplus Equipment. This would generate funds by auctioning off bakery equipment and old unusable items from the closed schools in order to purchase needed equipment for kitchens.
- Approval of Business Procedures being approved at administrative level. Historically the PCSSD Board has approved Business Procedures presented by the administrator. At the Superintendent’s recommendation, the District requested that Business Procedures be an administrative function and no longer submitted for Board approval. Approved
- Revision of Business Procedures Manual: Local Travel – Reimbursement for Mileage Claimed. Approved
- Revision of Business Procedures Manual: Out-of-District Travel Procedures. Approved
- Revision of Business Procedures Manual: Blanket Purchase Order Procedure. Approved.
- Revision of Business Procedures Manual: Purchase Requisition. Approved
- Approval of John T. Starling, JD, JTS Financial Services, LLC, as the Pulaski County Special School District Agent of Record for Insurance / Fringe Benefits. Approved
- Approval of Change Order No. 15 – Maumelle High School Construction Project. Approved
- Memorandum of Agreement with Southern Regional Education Board (SREB), the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) and the Pulaski Count Special School District including North Pulaski High School and Sylvan Hills High School. SREB proposes to work collaboratively with state, district, school and teacher leaders in Arkansas to implement the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and to improve student academic achievement. ADE will select up to five school districts with a total of eight high schools during the first year to design, implement and scale the Literacy Design Collaborative / Mathematics Design Collaborative system. Approved
- Amendment of support staff allocations for 2011-2012 to create ten (10) additional contracted security officer positions (six-8 hrs/day and four-6 hrs/day) for 178 days. These positions are currently being filled by temporary (non-contract) employees. The positions are necessary to provide security in the schools. The cost difference between paying these temporary employees and the pay for contract employees is approximately $40,000.00 for the fringe benefits. The salary is currently being paid out of operating funds. Approved
- Summary of Districts Operations for November 2011. Approved
- Expulsions. Approved
- Personnel. Approved
- Approval of Award of Bids. Approved
- RFP 12-005 METERED CHEMICALS – Auto Chlor System
- Bid 12-007 CARPET AND TILE INSTALLATION – Floors First by Hills, Inc.
- Bid 12-009 Cooking Oil Filtration – Eco Services of Arkansas, Inc.
- Approval of Bills for Payment. Approved
- Approval of Financial Report. Approved
- Approval of Fiscal Distress Reporting Requirements. Approved
On Thursday, December 1, 2011, beginning at 5:00 p.m. in the Pulaski County Special School District boardroom at 925 East Dixon Road, Little Rock, Arkansas. a three-member panel consisting of Danny Knight, Chair, Mary McClendon and Ken Turner conducted hearings for a seventh grade student at the request of the student’s parents/guardians to appeal the hearing officer’s recommendation.
On October 27, 2011, a seventh grade male student at the Pulaski County Special School District Learning Academy was recommended for expulsion for the remainder of the 2011-2012 school year. The student was charged with Rule 407 – selling, attempting to sell/distribute or purchase drugs/alcohol. Present at the hearing were: Judy Wilber, General Counsel; Dr. Brenda Bowles, Assistant Superintendent for Equity and Pupil Service; Ken Clark, ALE Administrator; and parents of the student. A unanimous decision by the committee was recommend to Dr. Kimbrell to uphold the recommendation.
Dr. Tom Kimbrell, Commissioner of Education, acting in the stead of a school board, sustained the panel’s findings.
November 29, 2011
- Adoption of Board Policy IHBHA, Alternative Learning Environments (ALE) – Second Reading. Approved
- Revision of Board Policy JRA-E, Record Release Notification – Second Reading. Approved
- Revision of Board Policy JM-R, Scholarships – Second Reading. Approved
- Addition of Board Policy Regulation, EBCB – R1, Certified/Support Inclement Weather – Second Reading. Approved
- Revision of Board Policy JIC-E, Student Conduct – First Reading.
- Amendment to Board Policy IKA, IKA-R, Grading Assessment System – First Reading.
- Amendment to Board Policy IKF, Graduation Requirements – First Reading.