On June 20, 2011 the Arkansas Department of Education removed the Pulaski County School Board of Education and Superintendent, Dr. Charles L. Hopson, and took control of the District. Dr. Tom Kimbrell, Commissioner, Arkansas Department of Education, will serve in the stead of PCSSD Board of Education. Former Superintendent Bobby Lester and Phyllis Stewart, ADE, were appointed as liaisons for the District by the Department of Education. Dr. Jerry D. Guess was selected as the Superintendent of the Pulaski County Special School District, effective July 1, 2011.
- 2011-2012 Second Semester Student Assignment Report – Equity/Pupil Services
- Revisions to the District’s Fiscal Distress Improvement Plan. This is for the purpose of addressing the additional indicator of a declining balance determined to jeopardize the fiscal integrity of the school district. Approved February 23, 2012
- Interior painting and repair rotten wood at Oakbrooke Elementary School. The cost of this project is $63,635.00. Approved February 28, 2012
New Business (Approved 3/13/12)
- Parent Facilitator Stipends for each school. Each parent facilitator that completes and documents the duties associated with the position will receive a $500 stipend. A parent facilitator and supplemental pay for the position are mandated by Act 603 of 2003. Past practice at PCSSD has been that upon submission of documentation of meeting the duties required of a parent facilitator, the parent facilitator has been paid a stipend of $500.00. Approved
- Change Order Number 1 (Pinewood Elementary). The change order is a decrease of the contract price ($2,500.00). Approved
- Change Order Number 006 (Sylvan Hills Middle). Changes were necessary in order to complete the project on time. Cost $103,919.00. (No increase to contract cost) Approved
- Auction one (1) 1988 Chevrolet Truck VIN #2GCFC29KXJ1169143, Mileage 300,100. This would generate funds to purchase a new vehicle for the Maintenance Department. Approved
- Change Order Number 16 (Replacement for Maumelle High School). These changes were necessary in order to complete the project on time. The increase to contract cost was $258,052.00 This increase cost was offset by decrease in cost of Sylvan Hills Middle School. Approved
- Wireless Controller. This device will manage up to 300 wireless access points across the enterprise/district-wide. It will reduce overall operational expenses by simplifying network deployment, operations and management of individual wireless access points in our schools. The cost is $40,000. Approved
- Tri-District Partnership and Early Childhood Special Education Program. North Little Rock School District was considering dissolving the Tri-District collaborative partnership. After the PCSSD began exploring the options of providing Early Childhood special education service, the district agreed that appropriate services could be provided more efficiently and could use many of its existing employees to provide those services. On March 2, 2012, PCSSD decided to withdraw from the Tri-District Cooperative agreement. Approved
- PCSSD Personnel Policy Committees: (1) Certified Staff – Appointed Administrators (2) Support Staff – Appointed Administrators. No action required. This was an informational only action item to inform the acting board of the election of the PCSSD Personnel Policy Committees.
- Support Staff Allocations for 2012-2013. The support staff allocations are submitted for board approval in order to staff positions for the 2012-2013 school year. Approved
- Certified Staffing Allocations for 2012-2013. The support staff allocations are submitted for board approval in order to staff positions for the 2012-2013 school year. Approved
- College Station Elementary Roof Replacement. The roof is in need of being replaced on the front building of College Station Elementary. The cost is $36,683.00. Approved
- Change Order Number 009 (Sylvan Hills Middle School). Changes were necessary in order to complete the project on time. Reduction to contract cost due to Architectural Contract from Sylvan Hills Middle School. $258,052.00 (Decrease to contract cost).
- Summary of Districts Operations for March 2012. Approved
- Expulsions. Approved
- Personnel: Approved
- Approval of Bills for Payment. Approved
- Approval of Financial Report: Approved
- Approval of Fiscal Distress Reporting Requirements. Approved
On March 13, 2012, a three-member panel consisting of Danny Knight (chair), Gloria Rogers and Ken Turner conducted a hearing regarding Superintendent Dr. Jerry Guess’ recommendation to terminate the employment contract of Jennifer Paul, a teacher at Jacksonville High School. The meeting was held in the Pulaski County Special School District Administration Boardroom at 925 East Dixon Road, Little Rock, Arkansas. Ms. Paul was changed with conduct unbecoming a professional teacher. Ms. Paul brought a loaded gun onto the Jacksonville High School campus and a student stole the loaded gun and case from Ms. Paul’s purse. After hearing all testimony and a review of the evidence, the hearing panel recommended Ms. Paul be suspended without pay for the remainder of the 2011-12 school year; be placed on probation for the 2012-13 and 2013-14 school years; and be reassigned to another school within the Pulaski County Special School District. As Commissioner of Education, acting in the stead of a school board, Dr. Kimbrell sustained the panel’s finding on each charge.