This fall all PCSSD school cafeterias will be implementing new meal pattern guidelines for school lunch, ensuring that meals are healthy, well-balanced and provide students the nutrition they need to succeed at school. School meals currently offer students milk, fruits and vegetables, proteins and grains, but for the upcoming 2012-2013 school year they must meet strict limits on saturated fat and portion size. Starting in School Year 2012-2013, school lunches will meet additional standards requiring:
- Age-appropriate calorie limits
- Larger servings of vegetables and fruits (students must take at least one serving of produce)
- A wider variety of vegetables, including dark green, red/orange vegetables and legumes
- Fat-free or 1% milk (flavored milk must be fat-free)
- More whole grains
- Less sodium (The regulation for sodium reduction in school lunches actually does not go into effect until school year 2014-2015, but our cafeterias will gradually begin to enforce this guideline over the next couple years.)
Applying the new meal-pattern guidelines to our menus will help provide your children a high quality, nutritious lunch. We’re always working to offer PCSSD students healthier and delicious choices. Healthy creative meals, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables will be a few of the benefits of this new meal pattern.
School meals are a great value and a huge convenience for busy families too!
New Prices for 2012-2013
All accounts can be paid in advance by going online to www.mypaymentsplus.com.
Now is the perfect time to encourage our students to choose school lunch! We look forward to welcoming them to the cafeteria this fall. To find out more about PCSSD healthy school meals, you may contact PCSSD Student Nutrition staff at any time at 501.490.5800. Thank you!