All Middle School students are required to comply with a Uniform Dress Code during school hours (Board Policy Code: JICA).
In accordance with the PCSSD District Uniform Dress Code no athletic company names, designs, logos or insignias (except for school logo) on clothing.
- No vests or shrugs (half jackets)
- Short or long sleeve, collared polo shirts, turtlenecks or sweaters in any solid colors
- Shirts must be buttoned
- Sylvan Hills Middle School Sponsored t-shirts (football, volleyball, basketball, track, band, choir, teams, clubs, etc.) can be worn daily
- Undershirts must be solid white
- Plain sweatshirts in any solid color. No logos except Sylvan Hills Middle School
- Plain zip up jackets in any solid color. No logos except Sylvan Hills Middle School
- No jeans or jean material
- No spandex or leggings
- Navy or khaki pants. (No sagging.)
- Navy or khaki shorts. (No sagging. No shorter than a dollar bill length from the center of the knee.)
- Navy or khaki skirts, jumpers, or skorts. (No shorter than a dollar bill length from the center of the knee.)
- Sensible shoes
- No flip-flops, house shoes or bare feet
- No open toe shoes
- Pants or shorts with belt loops must have belts
- Belts must be in the belt loops
- All book bags, backpacks and totes must be clear or mesh
- No head coverings i.e. hats, bandanas, scarves, doo-rags, etc.
- Undergarments cannot show
- No jewelry that constitutes a safety hazard
- Pocket chains are not allowed
- Students will be able to earn dress down days (specifcs will be formalized at the beginning of the school year)
- Detention hall/parent phone call
- In School suspension for the day
- Further disciplinary consequences as appropriate
Gym shorts, sleeved t-shirts, tennis shoes, and socks must be worn. These should not be worn outside the gym/activity area. Arkansas Activities Association rules state that no jewelry or items that are hazardous may be worn in physical fitness classes or activities. P.E. coaches will inform students what attire is needed for Physical Education classes.
Parents, we appreciate you working with your child to select the proper dress for school. Announcements will be made frequently to the student body regarding what is appropriate. Thank you for your assistance.
Blue Jean Fridays
Bear Pride Blue Fridays are an incentive program for SHMS students. This is a weekly dress down day privilege with stipulations. In Spring 2011, when Bear Pride Blue Fridays began, regularly over 87% of the student population was eligible to participate weekly. The administration appreciates the students who consistently “JUST DO THE RIGHT THING!” It is evident every Friday what a great group of students are showing Bear Pride day in and day out!
Students will be allowed to wear jeans on Fridays if they meet certain requirements. Those include but are not limited to the following:
- No detention hall for the week
- No referrals to the office for the week
As the new lunch bunch policy is implemented, no assignments to lunch bunch for lack of homework or classwork will be added to the requirements.
The dress for Blue Jean Friday is as follows:
- Only BLUE jeans are allowed on Bear Pride Blue Fridays. (No black, brown, white, or any other color of jeans are allowed to be worn on this day.)
- No holes, white threads, emblems, or colors etc are allowed on BLUE blue jeans. Plain blue jeans are the only appropriate jean for Blue Jean Fridays
- If you are eligible to wear blue jeans, you must be in a BLUE shirt.T shirts must be BLUE Sylvan Hills Bear shirts. (On Blue Jean Friday, other color t shirts allowed throughout the week are not allowed on Friday.)
- Students who are not eligible for BLUE JEAN Friday are to follow the uniform policy